Friday, December 10, 2010

Are we too security concious?


In my last post I spoke about the fact that I miss having a penpal.

Growing up in a single parent household I used to get letters from my step sister all the time. She was only a year or so older then me, but gosh I so looked up to her. I used to think she was the coolest thing since sliced bread.

She had pretty handwriting, a funky doona cover, a boyfriend (gasp!). I loved receiving her letters as she'd always draw a little picture, or a poem, or put in some photos of us from my trip to Dad's place.

Well the lovely Maxabella commented on my last post and mentioned postcrossing. It's a project that allows anyone to receive postcards (real ones, not electronic) from random places in the world. I googled it and had a look... I was about to sign up when I realised I had to put in my REAL NAME and REAL ADDRESS  into this online form type bizzo. (obviously, otherwise how else would I receive said postcard).

Now I don't know why, but the idea of telling a stranger my real name and address freaks me out. I'm not a Nanna, I've done my fair share of internet banking, and internet buying. But for some reason I just can not bring myself to enter such personal details into a form.

The idea of receiving a lovely postcard from someone on the opposite side of the world appeals to me, that's for sure. However the security concious me baulks at the idea.

Have you ever participated in an online pen friend website? Are you security concious like me or am I being an idiot?

PS: I've decided to participate in flog yo blog Friday. Play along too :)

rrsahm

2 comments:

Amy said...

I've never participated in an online penpal thing where you have had to openly put your address into a form, but i have given it out to people that I've only known online- and sometimes that's scary!!

~CSaM~ said...

Like me ;) Fingers crossed sharing your personal info with me will be worth it once you open your Christmas present (on Christmas day I might add!)