Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Soup, glorious SOUP!!!

I'm not that keen on winter. It's windy, your lips get cracked, the days are shorter, it's cold..... honestly I could go on. But the one thing I LOVE about winter is soup!!! There's just something so comforting and soothing about a nice warm bowl of soup on a chilly winter's night. So I thought I'd share my lentil soup recipe with you. Try it this week, you won't be disappointed :-)

Lentil and vegie Soup

2 small or one medium onion
3 cloves of garlic (or less if you're not keen)
some ginger (I only add this if we have it in the house)
1/2 medium sweet potato
2 carrots
Pumpkin if you have any
1 medium zuc
a handful of beans cut into chunks
a handful of brussell sprouts cut into quarters
1 cup frozen peas and corn
2 tins of brown lentils
2 tins of canellini beans (You can use whatever tin beans you like)
About 3 cans of tin tomatoes (I used a BIG tin of tomatoes and a smaller tin)
2 stock cubes dissolved in water

So you pretty much just cut all your vegies into equalish sizes so they all cook at the same time. Add a little oil to a big saucepan, add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook until the onion is soft. Add the hard vegies(s.potato, carrots and pumpkin) and cook until just softening. Add all the other veg except for the peas and corn. Cook those until they are just soft. Then you add in all the other ingredients except for the peas and corn. Add enough water to cover the whole thing. Simmer until all the veg is cooked. Stir in the peas and corn and season to taste (You can also add some herbs if you have any. I add some dried mixed herbs but it's lovely with some fresh parsley). Serve with some crusty bread :-)

Stay tuned for some more tasty soup recipes. In the mean time here's the latest belly pics, enjoy!

35 Weeks and 2 days (1st June)


(My stupid belly button has decided to stay half innie half outie!)

0 comments: